Exploring the Metacognition Cycle: What is Metacognition Cycle? - Tech Goodle

Exploring the Metacognition Cycle

Exploring the Metacognition Cycle: What is Metacognition Cycle? - Tech Goodle


We know that re-awareness is important in learning. It occurs when we analyze tasks, set goals, apply strategies, and reflect on what we learn. But how does metacognition actually work? Yes, the authors of "How Learning Works Works" describe it as a cycle.

It starts with being able to evaluate the work being done. Here, students have a clear picture of what they need to accomplish. Next, they test their strengths and weaknesses. Afterward, students plan a course of action.

Note that it does not have to be a detailed program.

In some cases, students can visualize what they need to accomplish and how to get there. Students then take action, apply strategies, and monitor their progress. This leads to the next stage as they reflect on their study and adjust their approach.

Here they may decide on new strategies that will eventually lead to a job review. This cycle can occur sooner or later. In some cases, it may feel automatic and almost invisible. And of course it is important to learn.

When students have strong metacognition skills, they are more likely to succeed in college, careers, and lifelong learning.

Why Permission Is Critical To 

Creative Risk-taking


So, I have this sticky note on my computer and the same note I wrote in my journal and pasted it on the cork board in my office. It reads, "This could fail." This can fail. This can fail. I know it sounds bad and maybe hopeless. But, really, it is the opposite.

To me, “this can fail” is a reminder that every single creative thing is tempting. It can work. It may fail. But if it fails, it doesn't make me fail as an artist, writer, or teacher. Because every failure is one step closer to success. But it is more than just an over-the-counter card.

And it’s a clear call to take creative risks. It’s a reminder to write a blog post or I’m not sure what my audience will think. It’s a reminder to draw these videos even if I don’t feel like a “real” artist. It is a reminder to continue working on the novel, even if I fear it will not appear directly.

Indeed, I can go the safe way. But I like to jump into the unknown creation. I would love to do challenging things. Because ultimately that is where the creative life is found.

Post a Comment

0 Comments